Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Building Interface
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
RE: Thoughts on Building Interface
The thing between voxel/pixel and vector is that voxel/pixel occupy place on the REGULR grid and vector point can occupy ANY given space. It doesn't matter if voxel point is square or round, it's point fixed to grid. Of course, every point can have more than one state, just like pixel (think of grayscale, colour and black&white graphics). But as You said, map is "fairly smooth" and hills and fields look nice, ok. The problem appears when we want something 100% flat, detailed, and at the little angle. With enought data-in-voxel-point and nice voxel resolution it is possible, but is it reliable for real time rendering in game? I wonder that. It all depends on the kind of data that voxel holds and the way engine will represent them when coating in vector mesh.

The problem is I know neither how it is, how it can be or how it will be working in the future and thus, cant put too much thought into my wishes about building interface Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Having a voxel change state seems pretty effective. Give the player a trawl to smooth surfaces with?

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
12-17-2011, 12:36 PM
All depends on the engine that will interpret voxel data. But giving some thought about information that one voxel can hold, it would be nice different materials would behave differently. Like dirt would be more smooth, stone crude and bricks edgy. And some materials, like minerals would create more complex mesh on simple voxel point, just for looks. But now, how they would connect to look good? And the coding part, heh Tongue
12-17-2011, 02:38 PM
(12-17-2011 12:36 PM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  All depends on the engine that will interpret voxel data. But giving some thought about information that one voxel can hold, it would be nice different materials would behave differently. Like dirt would be more smooth, stone crude and bricks edgy. And some materials, like minerals would create more complex mesh on simple voxel point, just for looks. But now, how they would connect to look good? And the coding part, heh Tongue

Yeah, it took Terraria ages to come up with an update that let walls connect in a way that didn't look terrible, and that game only uses sprites.

Given the cubes are fixed on an incriment, how possible is it to give straight edges to something that faces an odd angle, unless the voxels calculate their flat edge at 15 degree increments?

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I briefly read through this but not every single page, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. I think it could make building much easier to have somewhat of an in-game terrain editor. Like, a build key that you press that shifts the camera from first-person to third-person, or free-flying. In the changed camera mode, you still have to build within the range of your character's position but you could have an interface that comes up in this "build mode" to choose which materials to use, which brush type (sphere, cube), size, etc. which could all be mapped to key shortcuts as well. Doing this could also give the option for grids and grid-locking.

I feel that an interface like this could still allow for the fluidly-natural designs that you can already do, but allow more symmetrical and complex structures to be built as well. Allowing a player to then select a section or structure and copy it, then paste to another section would be great too since it would allow you to create a structure you like and replicate it using the resources you have collected. In an RTS situation, the copying/pasting of structures could be an unlockable feature.
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
That sounds interesting for the building perspective (and possibly easier to actually build with) but it would also completely ruin the immersion I think, walking about mining, fighting then you build and you're a free roaming camera? Hmm...

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
(03-05-2012 03:33 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  That sounds interesting for the building perspective (and possibly easier to actually build with) but it would also completely ruin the immersion I think, walking about mining, fighting then you build and you're a free roaming camera? Hmm...

Well, not necessarily a free-roaming camera, just a way to change the perspective of your build area without having to run circles around your build site, this could also keep the cursor from going off-screen and making a lot of randomly shaped arks if you don't want them. Also, I was thinking more along the lines of having several views available, just interchangeable via adjustable options. This way, you could build in first or third-person or limited free-roam (that sounds better). Having a variety makes everyone happy.
03-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Hmmm seems legit, but how would it all be placed? Obviously it'd need to be parented to the dorf.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]