Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Building Interface
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 12:17 PM by Ben.)
RE: Thoughts on Building Interface
I think that all we need is more precise control of the "plopper", to make it easier to build flat surfaces, and be able to limit motion of the plopper to one axis. Or be able to limit the plopper to two axis which would also allow for flat surfaces.

Maybe instead of holding control for cube plopper, have a button to switch between cube and sphere, as holding control is a tad awkward, plus this frees up the control key for use as a way to toggle between axis's(axes?)

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
(12-08-2011 07:47 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  
(12-08-2011 12:39 PM)repapermunky Wrote:  I was thinking that when there are strategy elements added (the RTS mentioned in Kickstarter, maybe a separate game mode?)

that for that certain game mode, there could be a "magic" where you have to somehow build something like "magicka" to build

and remove elements. Just like in certain "drawing" games, you get a certain amount of "paint." Something could easily be made

to be a source of energy such as kills, captures (of a flag) or something along those lines. Of course, this would be only for a

certain mode, if there ever was one, as we wouldn't want this getting in the way of people's creativity!

You have limited resources to build, isn't that enough?

I'm guess you're right, I totally didn't even think about that. How stupid of me.
12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I still wonder how these voxels are calculated. Meaby it's impossible to build flat wall, lets say, at angle 36? As I am thinking about this first I must know how the engine works (in broad terms) to make a wish XD
12-10-2011, 12:28 AM
(12-09-2011 02:45 PM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  I still wonder how these voxels are calculated. Meaby it's impossible to build flat wall, lets say, at angle 36? As I am thinking about this first I must know how the engine works (in broad terms) to make a wish XD

They're circles, from what I've observed, it should be relatively easyto make a flat surface based on how they connect with each other.

I have noticed the voxels will alter in shape if hit with a pickaxe; look like they've had a chunk taken out of them, so I'm going out on a limb here and assuming either there are two designated shapes for voxels depending on how they're interacted with or they are actually smaller than the shape we are allowed to make?

I have limited knowledge of voxels though, my experience is mostly with polygons which, as I understand it, are much more static than voxels, so I'm taking shots in the dark. Tongue

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
12-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Can't you see the voxels while holding down E? Anyway flat surfaces are definitely possible, you just need a more precise tool. If you edit the mapdump file it's possible to make a completely flat wall or plane.

12-13-2011, 03:09 AM
(12-13-2011 02:12 AM)Ben Wrote:  Can't you see the voxels while holding down E? Anyway flat surfaces are definitely possible, you just need a more precise tool. If you edit the mapdump file it's possible to make a completely flat wall or plane.

I thought those were markers, I didn't realize the voxels were so polygonal.

12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
(12-13-2011 03:09 AM)Kazekai Wrote:  
(12-13-2011 02:12 AM)Ben Wrote:  Can't you see the voxels while holding down E? Anyway flat surfaces are definitely possible, you just need a more precise tool. If you edit the mapdump file it's possible to make a completely flat wall or plane.

I thought those were markers, I didn't realize the voxels were so polygonal.

Not entirely sure what you mean Angel

12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
well, voxel is just a data and the idea is that it can occupy space ON THE GRID. Uberdark, just like worms 3d, uses this data to create polygonal mesh that you can see so yeah, voxels works like markers here. The problem for me is that, like in paint, you can make straight line when it's horizontal or vertical. When you want to change it's angle, you end with loot of boxes that look nice in BIG resolution. And that is why we have anty aliasing and now i'm wondering how good this "polygon anty aliasing" will work in 3d.
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
(12-14-2011 10:39 AM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  well, voxel is just a data and the idea is that it can occupy space ON THE GRID. Uberdark, just like worms 3d, uses this data to create polygonal mesh that you can see so yeah, voxels works like markers here. The problem for me is that, like in paint, you can make straight line when it's horizontal or vertical. When you want to change it's angle, you end with loot of boxes that look nice in BIG resolution. And that is why we have anty aliasing and now i'm wondering how good this "polygon anty aliasing" will work in 3d.
So when you say 3d anti-aliasing you mean so that we don't see blocks, we see smooth terrain? The same way anti-aliasing on 2d images smooths out non vertical or horizontal edges? I thought the terrain was just a mesh draped over the voxels... *Knows nothing about voxels*

12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
(12-14-2011 11:55 AM)Ben Wrote:  
(12-14-2011 10:39 AM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  well, voxel is just a data and the idea is that it can occupy space ON THE GRID. Uberdark, just like worms 3d, uses this data to create polygonal mesh that you can see so yeah, voxels works like markers here. The problem for me is that, like in paint, you can make straight line when it's horizontal or vertical. When you want to change it's angle, you end with loot of boxes that look nice in BIG resolution. And that is why we have anty aliasing and now i'm wondering how good this "polygon anty aliasing" will work in 3d.
So when you say 3d anti-aliasing you mean so that we don't see blocks, we see smooth terrain? The same way anti-aliasing on 2d images smooths out non vertical or horizontal edges? I thought the terrain was just a mesh draped over the voxels... *Knows nothing about voxels*

I think he means that a pixel in paint is a square, so it looks jagged when you try to make straight lines at an angle. Anti-alias is designed to give the illusion of smoothness to bitmap images.

But the voxels in ubrdark aren't squares like Minecraft; they're more like blobs, and therefore it might be possible to treat them more like vector images than bitmap images. A vector uses algorithms and "points", not pixels, which results in much smoother lines and is often easier to scale and manipulate than a static bitmap image; I've noticed when I hit a "blob" with a pickaxe it changes shape, so I don't see a reason why the "blob" can't connect to another "blob" a certain way at an angle by taking another shape when certain conditions are met, though I think they already do this because I've noticed the map is fairly smooth already no matter how I connect the voxels.