Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 25, 2013
08-26-2013, 12:56 AM
August 25, 2013
Have been dilligently working away at the game - still haven't actually built the PC version, so hopefully no surprises. Anyway, I did hit a snag with the load time for terrain blocks that will take some shuffling to correct - basically, low detail blocks should load much faster than full detail blocks - but they currently take the same amount of time. Anyway, I mention that because it won't be fixed for tomorrow and does run slower because of it (when walking around). Still have some loose ends to tie up, so expect it late tomorrow night... On the up side, it is satisfying to chew away at those walls
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013, 01:44 AM
RE: August 25, 2013
Confirmed (sort of) release tomorrow night. SWEET! Sabo, break out the hammer!
Time to break it until we get Memory Access Violations!

Also, thanks Aaron!

Forever vigilent.
08-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Thanks for letting us know that you're nearing completion. I look forward tot he release and I'll be sure to make a video about the update to hype it. Tongue

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Banhammer Got it ready baby! Big Grin

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
08-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Well -- after a load of surprises, alpha .46 is built and posted. Had a lot of trouble with the new rendering code on my PC, that's why there are a few different versions. And it still wants to spawn inside the walls for whatever reason... Anyway, if you want to play around with the random level generator, the txt files in the dungeon directory can be changed -- but you'll also have to manually delete the contents of the world directory too. It dumps the level to the logfile too...

It will get faster too -- there are 3 easy things that could be done to optimize it.

Also, this is at 1 inch (lowres version) or half inch (medium/vbo versions) detail... Quarter inch is still a bit slow...
08-26-2013, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 11:48 PM by iAreNubcake.)
Downloading and testing. Video will be up tomorrow.

------

Edit: Tested it out - still very much a tech demo, so I may actually wait on the video. A few things that should be pointed out for those interested: The reason it's slow is because it's VERY CPU intensive, not so much of the GPU. It still seems that it's simgle-threaded, so more powerful processors cannot take advantage of their multiple cores, and getting the game multi-threaded would help a lot on its own. The other thing is that the biggest choke-point I can see is when it has to load new areas into memory.

Another thing - the dungeons DO look pretty cool' though I haven't messed around with doing custom stuff yet since it doesn't seem to be worthwhile until I can actually play the game. Tongue

No rush, but any idea when the game will be playable again?

------

DOUBLE EDIT: One last thing - I think it's good that you revamped the engine/etc to use the smaller voxels and such. As nifty as the older versions were, they were pretty far behind games that are coming out nowadays.

08-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Made an account just for this (my 2nd one, your quirky mods shot my first one down a couple years back haha). I had lost all hope in this title, but even though that bit of buggy mess you released was... short.. of a few things, it showed that you are making progress and i'm re-stoked about this game again.

Looking forward to it man! (easy mods... i'll go quiet for 2 years again.)
08-26-2013, 11:51 PM
TBH, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but you made your account 1.5 years ago. If anything, you changed your name, but that doesn't matter I suppose. Either way, glad you're excited about the game again. Big Grin

08-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Well, single core shouldn't be an issue. My PC uses a 3.4Ghz P4, which only has ONE CORE.

Forever vigilent.
08-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Well YOU'RE not going to gain anything from multithreading, but most other people would. Tongue