Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiplayer support
04-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Smile Multiplayer support
I don't know when Arron has multiplayer support planed to be added, but would it be possible for someone to write a multiplayer script for lan support. As a mod or even to give Arron as a head start to adding in multiplayer support. ? just a thought. Me and my friend are dieing to play this lan together.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2013, 02:53 AM
RE: Multiplayer support
Multiplayer support is already on the to-do list, but it's a rather complicated undertaking. I've not spoken with Aaron on his intentions for multiplayer (how he intends to add it in, etc) but it should be a little while before it's time to work on that. At the moment, I believe he wants to get all of the core systems worked out, but that being said, I'll see what he thinks of something like Minecraft's approach (always running a server even for single player). After all, if the game was written to support server/client communication fromt he get-go, getting it to communicate with another server would be a simple task.

That being said, I wouldn't anticipate it being added in the very near future, but I'll mention it to him.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Cool, I hope he will design it like Minecraft's multiplayer because then we could just open to lan and jump into our friends world, quick and simple. Smile Though its sad that we wont see it very soon Confused But I guess there are other parts of the game that need to be taken care of first. It would be nice to see a modder make a lan multiplayer for us as a temporary multiplayer tell Aaron gets around to adding it Wink

ps. Keep up the good work Aaron
04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
The game isn't currently written in such a way to where I think trying to hack in multiplayer would be practical... Might be possible, but probably more trouble than it's worth right now. Tongue

04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
I have an idea as to about how much the game is complete...
Level Gen: 83%
Modeling: 46%
Gameplay: 20%
Multiplayer: 0-1%
Note that these numbers are based on a typical developer model, and may-or-may-not reflect Aaron's progress.

Forever vigilent.
04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't know how accurate 0-1% is... despite the fact that the game is built for single player, a lot of it could easily be recycled for multiplayer.

04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
When I implement multiplayer in my games I just create an additional player object and write the necessary network code to update the player / world events on all clients. When / if you make multiplayer, then I vote for standalone server software.

If I understand the way the terrain is implemented correctly, then it's just a bunch of points where each point has an x, y, z value determined by the radius from wherever he has set the fixed point in the polar coordinate system to and the angle between the fixed point. Which means if you need to communicate to any of the clients you only need to send the radius of the point and the angle between the point and the fixed point. Which wont be many bytes(I think he said 16 bit?) so you could probably send several thousand point updates per second.

Which you'll need, since the resolution if I remember correctly there is 64 of these points in a foot, so if you were to change a cubic foot of terrain that would be 64^3 point updates, which equals 262144 points. That's insane, even if you needed to only send 1 byte per point that's still 256 kB. With my upload it would take me 5.68 seconds to upload that, and 0.73s + latency to download.

One thing I can think off to reduce the amount of data to send would be to construct shapes out these points and send these off. So then changing 1 foot would only require the position of three points, and the client would use these 3 points to change the the same area on the clients map.

I'd also like to point out for those of you who are metric users(like me), a foot is roughly 30.5 cm and the distance between each point is 47.6mm. In Minecraft terms that is 1/30 of the length of a block, which means that if minecraft had such high resolution, then one regular minecraft block would be:

1 / 0.305 = 3,2786885245901 * 64 = 209.83 (I'm gonna round it down on purpose) ~ 209. The length of the block would be 209 points.
The side of a block would be 209*209 = 43681 points.
And the entire block would be made up of 43681 * 209 = 9,129,329 points. ( actually it would be more because I rounded down earlier.)

Imagine that, being able to break a normal Minecraft block into 9,129,329 smaller blocks. Though everything I've said here relies on my understanding of how the terrain is made up being correct. I'm pretty amazed that Aaron has been able to achieve such high resolution.

Perhaps Aaron or Nubcake can correct me if I'm wrong.
04-24-2013, 11:02 PM
To be honest, that's not what I've worked on, so I don't know the terrain stuff too well. Aaron or Phil could tell you better.

04-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Multiplayer SUPPORT progress (network coding): 0-1%
Better?

Forever vigilent.
04-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes' though there does seem to be a few things here and there, so maybe closer to 5%. I could be misinterpreting the code, though.