Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU changed, FPS help
08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: CPU changed, FPS help
The population count only goes down when they try to enter into an area in the east. Violent little gnomes tear them to shreds.

Forever vigilent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2012, 05:42 AM
(08-29-2012 05:13 PM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  Dual and quad cores are silly. They should focus on making much stronger single core processors.

So my dwarf fortress will run faster lol.

Strengthening the output of a core runs the risk of it overheating and destroying the rest of the system - more than one core is applied so that the workload can be spread out and the chance of internal damage is reduced.

I also have no idea what I just said. Big Grin

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
09-05-2012, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 07:25 AM by Ben.)
You can do ONE thing at a time with ONE core, that is to say only one thing can be computed at once, processes take TURNS to do things, with 4 you can do 4 things at once, so, yeah, no matter how powerful we end up making a single core processor you'd be an absolute moron to not take advantage of multiple cores. A single core 2Ghz processor will run like absolute SHIT compared to a dual core 1.6Ghz processor, or even an quad core 800Mhz processor, probably.

Your dwarf fortress could run faster if it was able to utilise more than one core.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
09-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Furthermore, you could always overclock that single core if you're that dead set on performance increases... just be like AMD and overclock an FX processor and use Liquid Nitrogen for cooling. :3

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Found out why dual core wouldn't work! Turns out I forgot to move a jumper on the fsb.

Forever vigilent.