Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goblin Model and Animations
03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: Goblin Model and Animations
I agree that the goblins are adorable :3

I don't really understand why Kaze feels so strongly about having 4 or 5 digits..

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2012, 04:20 PM
(03-16-2012 06:08 PM)Ratbin Wrote:  (the same reason you draw GIANT fucking heads on your chars. ;3 )..

...Or because the one in my avatar is 6 years old.

(03-17-2012 04:14 PM)Ben Wrote:  I agree that the goblins are adorable :3

I don't really understand why Kaze feels so strongly about having 4 or 5 digits..

Because it was a trend a company I've never liked started for terrible reasons such as saving an insignificant amount of money and the only reason people like it more is because Bugs Bunny did it or whatever. That shit was never good to begin with, people were just morbidly depressed in the 30s-40s and would like anything, and those cartoons are irrelevant now, we should erase them from the modern media.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
What I mean is, it affects nothing, so why do you care so much? Seems unhealthy Tongue

03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd say if you were to make a cartoon, but had a low budget like EXTREMELY LOW... Basically 50 cents... You'd be allowed to have 4 digits... But I think she feels so strong about it, is because a half assed company which consisted of 3 fat men, constantly fapping to horses who never counted their fingers so they just slapped on a few and called it a day, and then just tried to get laid by saying they'd made a cartoon... That's why... I think.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
(03-17-2012 04:25 PM)Ben Wrote:  What I mean is, it affects nothing, so why do you care so much? Seems unhealthy Tongue

Imagine how hard it would be to play an instrument or type on a keyboard without a digit. It annoys me for the same reason that anthro characters with ears situated on the top of their heads yet wear headphones on the sides of their head annoy me, people often ignore the functionality of anatomy, and suspension of disbelief is for the weak-minded IMO.

And also because that design choice, along with several other ones, became so mainstream and overdone in our society that I am bloody sick of it. I have been exposed to the style ingrained in our culture since I could stare at a TV and assimilate the images, and even at a young age I questioned things like the lacking of a finger or the characters not having any eye color (That's another peeve with me, eye color is extremely vital to expressing a character's personality) or why so many cartoons that are made by so many different people have an insane amount in common with each other.

Also, it is entirely possible to make cute stubby hands that have 5 digits. This is pretty common in anime, since it's actually illegal to draw characters with a missing finger. Their culture finds it offensive, so it isn't even universal that getting rid of a digit makes people feel more comfortable. This mainly applies to westerners because we were exposed to what old farts consider "the classics" and therefore we must be convinced that "the classics" are the proper way to do everything.

And also, I just hate nostalgia, I think nostalgia turns people into morons and causes severe cases of Internet Autism. I do not view a "classic" of anything to be preferable to any modernized version of that same thing, I'm the type of person who will make fun of indie devs who purposely make their games have an 8 bit art style just because when they were 7, their NES made the beatings their drunk father gave them less traumatic or whatever. Nostalgia is something people cling to and they will get incredibly upset if you start innovating. After all, how dare anyone ruin their sad excuse for a childhood by actually trying to improve on something or bring it into modern times. Nostalgia is the only reason a lot of classic cartoon characters are even still relevant, except they're not relevant because they reference cultural trends at the time or because they star in some political propaganda everyone is racist enough to believe, but because we have a bunch of stupid old people constantly shoving it down our throats from the time we can stand up straight, their craving for nostalgia influencing ours, it's a never-ending cycle of people perpetuating the same couple of things just because they remember it from when they were kids, and this means our mainstream media is largely filled with the same crap, instead of more variety or at least less fanboyish interpretations of the same cartoon tropes with different characters and colors.

And this is why I don't watch TV.

One of my favorite DS games does a good job at being different in its style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_Q4k-kCmc

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 08:34 PM by Ben.)
The only thing I can really comment on is:
(03-17-2012 08:23 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  Imagine how hard it would be to play an instrument or type on a keyboard without a digit.
When typing I only use three fingers on my right hand, and three fingers and a thumb on my left, typing with two digits less would be easy, especially if I were born that way. Plus, in a world where people have X amount of digits, tools are designed for and by people with that amount of digits..

Maybe I'm a little too apathetic or something but I can't imagine myself getting worked over something like that Tongue

03-17-2012, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 08:44 PM by GabbyBob.)
(03-17-2012 08:23 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  Imagine how hard it would be to play an instrument or type on a keyboard without a digit. It annoys me for the same reason that anthro characters with ears situated on the top of their heads yet wear headphones on the sides of their head annoy me, people often ignore the functionality of anatomy, and suspension of disbelief is for the weak-minded IMO.

Well, I can understand the ears thing, but if a character has four fingers, and so does the rest of the characters in its universe, wouldn't the characters create instruments and keyboards that were made to fit their hands?

I mean, why would you make an intrument that needed five fingers if you only had four?

Edit: ah damn you Ben. You ninja'd me. Stupid phone.
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
(03-17-2012 08:23 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  
(03-17-2012 04:25 PM)Ben Wrote:  What I mean is, it affects nothing, so why do you care so much? Seems unhealthy Tongue

Imagine how hard it would be to play an instrument or type on a keyboard without a digit. It annoys me for the same reason that anthro characters with ears situated on the top of their heads yet wear headphones on the sides of their head annoy me, people often ignore the functionality of anatomy, and suspension of disbelief is for the weak-minded IMO.

And also because that design choice, along with several other ones, became so mainstream and overdone in our society that I am bloody sick of it. I have been exposed to the style ingrained in our culture since I could stare at a TV and assimilate the images, and even at a young age I questioned things like the lacking of a finger or the characters not having any eye color (That's another peeve with me, eye color is extremely vital to expressing a character's personality) or why so many cartoons that are made by so many different people have an insane amount in common with each other.

Also, it is entirely possible to make cute stubby hands that have 5 digits. This is pretty common in anime, since it's actually illegal to draw characters with a missing finger. Their culture finds it offensive, so it isn't even universal that getting rid of a digit makes people feel more comfortable. This mainly applies to westerners because we were exposed to what old farts consider "the classics" and therefore we must be convinced that "the classics" are the proper way to do everything.

And also, I just hate nostalgia, I think nostalgia turns people into morons and causes severe cases of Internet Autism. I do not view a "classic" of anything to be preferable to any modernized version of that same thing, I'm the type of person who will make fun of indie devs who purposely make their games have an 8 bit art style just because when they were 7, their NES made the beatings their drunk father gave them less traumatic or whatever. Nostalgia is something people cling to and they will get incredibly upset if you start innovating. After all, how dare anyone ruin their sad excuse for a childhood by actually trying to improve on something or bring it into modern times. Nostalgia is the only reason a lot of classic cartoon characters are even still relevant, except they're not relevant because they reference cultural trends at the time or because they star in some political propaganda everyone is racist enough to believe, but because we have a bunch of stupid old people constantly shoving it down our throats from the time we can stand up straight, their craving for nostalgia influencing ours, it's a never-ending cycle of people perpetuating the same couple of things just because they remember it from when they were kids, and this means our mainstream media is largely filled with the same crap, instead of more variety or at least less fanboyish interpretations of the same cartoon tropes with different characters and colors.

And this is why I don't watch TV.

One of my favorite DS games does a good job at being different in its style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_Q4k-kCmc

TL;DR.

Secret's out. Cool
03-18-2012, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2012 01:01 AM by SabotageTheFool.)
I think kicking up so much dust about the four digit thing is pretty pointless and unhealthy. More so to deem all artwork that uses this as shit, because I do like it, regardless of what you think, as do many others. This is your OPINION and to all out rant and rave and bluster at people because of an opinion is a tad much.. People have their OWN art style (no it's not just some Disney or Warner Bros rip off, it's them..) we can't tell them "DAMMIT THAT'S WRONG!" because it's their work with which they can do what they want.

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I think she's just angry because it's in general a silly idea to only have 4 digits instead of 5... It must be because its origin is from ages ago from a company she generally thinks are giant douchebags who dunno what they're even doing.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]