Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goblin Model and Animations
03-16-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2012 01:39 PM by SabotageTheFool.)
Goblin Model and Animations
Aaron Bishop Wrote:Hi folks, we're still hard at work on Uberdark and a new alpha version is on its way. It's been in pieces lately due to a pretty hefty rewrite of the map system -- just needs a little polish now, and it'll be ready. Basically, the world map is now really, really big -- and persistant (no more import/export stuff).

Anyway, the art and music have been coming along nicely and Phillip McKeen has been helping out with the programming. Phillip also made a video showing some of the other new stuff that's coming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1U8rbVSmaM

Hopefully the alpha will be ready by Monday night sometime, but I'll send out another update when it is.

Goblin Animation (clickable):
[Image: video-88061-h264_high.jpg?2012]

[Image: image-99622-full.jpg?1331883149]

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
RE: Goblin Model and Animations
Dorfs have four fingers yet goblins have five. Works for me, the inconsistency makes it less stupid.

They look more like frogs, really. Half tempted to pick the goblin side just because $%#& humanoids. Angel

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Lol Jordan had compared them to frogs also XD
Though I do know the concept art they're coming from:

[Image: image-69351-full.jpg?1318270275]
[Image: image-69349-full.jpg?1318270140]

Notice both have 4 digits Tongue

03-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I hate all of you so much.

People really shouldn't be drawing characters like this today, it's 2011, it costs a lot less to animate in CG than traditionally.

And as for stylistic choices, &*(# Bugs Bunny and all his gay little friends, I want to stab each and every one of them in the eye, with a serrated blade, then twist them out. (That retro crap just needs to die already)

03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
(03-16-2012 04:12 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  I hate all of you so much.

People really shouldn't be drawing characters like this today, it's 2011, it costs a lot less to animate in CG than traditionally.

And as for stylistic choices, &*(# Bugs Bunny and all his gay little friends, I want to stab each and every one of them in the eye, with a serrated blade, then twist them out. (That retro crap just needs to die already)

.... it's 2012... XD

03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh right, I was so used to arguing with people over this last year that now I have to remember the new one.

Seriously, at least the model doesn't follow this retarded trend most animators fall into for whatever reason.

The little one is cute.

03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh GAWD I love these goblins.. I'm SO gonna be one.. I was afraid that they'd look stereotypical but this "frog" look is awesome <3

as for the finger count, Kaze, I saw your "rant" about it and yes I can explain it all to you perfectly well, but I have a feeling that you already decided to hate it.. so I'll give you a short half-assed vertion:

back in the day of 2D the 2 main reason for 4 fingers was "faster/easier" to draw/cost efficient second reason.. hit had more appeal to people, made the chars' look cute (the same reason you draw GIANT fucking heads on your chars. ;3 )..

another reason is that, it is commonly seen as "creepy" when non humans have 5 or more fingers (HR. Giger's Queen Alien is a good example).
its kinda like long thin fingers vs. short fat ones. (evil vs. good/creepy vs. cute).

and the fact that the goblins in LoUD have five thin fingers and the Dorfs have 4 thick is, in my opinion, the perfect art asset.
03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
[x] In before Kaze berates you for spelling and grammar.

Yeah I want the cute side! D: lol

03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
(03-16-2012 06:11 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  [x] In before Kaze berates you for spelling and grammar.
I'm danish and dyslexic, so yeah.. I'm not gonna get any better at grammar.

deal with it. B|
03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
It WAS cheaper, but now that anyone can animate isn't it better just to draw 5? I'm on Kaze's side about 5 digits, it looks better that way.. It really does. And when it comes to cute factor, I never see hands as "cute" I see them as something to kill with, or use items with... Never as a factor to be cutened with. In fact when drawing I try make my hands simple, usually in gloves, or none at all.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]