Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneak Peek at Alpha .41
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: Sneak Peak at Alpha .41
He created it to work in Minecraft, I think he should still keep his rights to it.. And be able to make money from it even if it was made to work with Minecraft.

It's like making money from apps made only for iPhone instead of Apple doing what they want with it o.o

Or an add on for a specific shoe that only works with that shoe.. that shoe maker shouldn't be able to then use this as though it were their own >_<

And as for this guy, the game will continue to make sales after the Piston is added (I'm sure some inspired by this cool new item) so some of his work is making money essentially.... Yeah.. lol.

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Off topic: shouldn't it be "sneak PEEK"?

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
(02-14-2012 03:01 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  Or an add on for a specific shoe that only works with that shoe.. that shoe maker shouldn't be able to then use this as though it were their own >_<

Why? He's just leeching off the shoemaker. If people are going to alter the original design of a creator, they should respect the creator. Dodgy

And this is why I will never allow modding on anything I make. It just avoids the entire issue of whose it is. (And I'm not like Notch or Bishop, I wouldn't be nice to these sods, I wouldn't let them walk all over me, I'd sue the sh*t out of them the second they got cocky anyway.)

Honestly I feel like people who take Notch's approach on modding are forfeiting half their creative rights, you can't expect script kiddies taking Programming 101 to respect them for you.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
He's not leeching if he made something new and cool that the maker of the original object hasn't made a competing version of.
Ditto for Speaker Docks, and all peripherals.

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
(02-14-2012 09:25 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  He's not leeching if he made something new and cool that the maker of the original object hasn't made a competing version of.
Ditto for Speaker Docks, and all peripherals.

You do realize there is a huge difference in modding a video game and creating an app?

First, you legally need a devkit to develop for any proprietary device, you can do it illegally, but it's illegal for a reason.

Second, a coding language, an art program, a gaming console, are all designed with the intent of creating and distributing ideas. A video game is intended to share an idea, it is not intended to be used in the way modders use it, and video games are already full of the ideas and intents of the original creator that go far beyond, or do not align with, the perpetuation of creative freedom.

If you make something that is intended to be used in a specific game, you have no business whining when it is absorbed by the game, in fact, it is actually beneficial to the people who support a mod for it to become official because:
-If it's a bug fix or optimization patch, it helps the entirety of the game's development.
-Nobody has to wait 2-3 weeks for you to update to the latest version. (And assuming it's number 1, some people might not be able to even run the game without the patch.)
-More people get to use it and, because it's official, there are no compatibility issues.

With all these benefits, you'd think people would be not only grateful but relieved of having their idea absorbed by the rightful creators of the game instead of acting like it's some violation of their human rights.

02-14-2012, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 12:07 AM by Jaguar.)
To clarify, there are mods, and there are patches.... The minecraft mods that require a patcher push it as mods in my book. They must be injected into the game, not added to it in parallel. Making a ripoff copy of a shoe is one thing... Making something that the original, unaltered shoe fits on or into is another story. If you make a picture frame for an an example... And someone wants to use your unique frame design for distributing with their pictures, without reimbursing you at all, and without your permission, is that ok?
"holy s*** this´╗┐ looks awful" - Orkdlak

Some people have nothing useful to say. I vote we go mass vote-down this comment on the .41 preview video. There's been lots of constructive criticism, and I think that's warranted... but this one's kinda pointless.

Secret's out. Cool
02-15-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 12:20 AM by Mantalayer.)
I thought this thread was about what we thought about the .41 preview, not about modding legality/morality issues. Or maybe I'm just stupid and can't read the title of the thread correctly. Also, I thought there was another thread about that, or at least a few other renegade threads that turned into it. Call me crazy, but I don't think Aaron or Jaguar are trying to provoke us with modding capabilities at the moment.

Anyways, I thought the changes to .41 were quite nice. I did notice the block stone textures got changed back to how they were before. I quite like them, and think they add some variety to the game. Also, congratulations Jaguar! Glad to see you are working on the game.

*Edit*
Also, your "tab, escape, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" sounded exactly how I imagined it to sound in my head when I first saw it.

--Brennan Anderson
http://brennananderson.com
http://badassmusicproductions.com
My Gear: A Mac, a PC, and a LOT of music software. I also play real instruments.
02-15-2012, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 03:02 AM by Jaguar.)
I agree with Mantalayer, but I don't have perms to moderate... Anyone eager enough to split the moral discussion of ownership of mod code into a separate topic?
I was going to report myself, but it says only for "spam, advertising, or abuse".

Secret's out. Cool
02-15-2012, 04:09 AM
RE: Sneak Peek at Alpha .41
Yeah I wouldn't mind that, sorry.

Just ignore commenters like that, they'll get thumbed-down anyway and it feels kind of immature to conspire against people on a forum anyway. Undecided

About the stone texture, I really like it, but I was thinking about how nice it would look if a similar pattern used to make the stone was also used for the glass? Like, have the glass have a subtle sharded appearance, just a thought, I thought it might look more fantasy. (Not sure if this is on-topic either.)

02-15-2012, 04:24 AM
RE: Sneak Peek at Alpha .41
I'd say the texture discussion is definitely on topic. Also, wouldn't mind sincere criticism on my performance. It's my first "professional" video, so I was a bit torn between "Just the facts" and "keep it fun"... thank Nubcake and Sabotage for keeping it from being completely dry.

(And I know I need a better mic if I'm going to keep doing these)

Secret's out. Cool