Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneak Peek at Alpha .41
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
RE: Sneak Peak at Alpha .41
Wow, modding's going to be supported already? Gives us time to do something fun!

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Good man Phil, this is why I love you (regardless of what your wife thinks! lol)

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM
If modding support is planned, I hope this forum doesn't turn into the Minecraft forums with how badly some of those modders behave, I would never let anyone go around copyrighting things they made for another person's game and then trying o enforce it just because the creator of the game wants to add it, I thought it was completely wrong that Notch had to pay the guy who made the pistons mod just to add it. It's his game, why can't he add whatever he wants?

I think it should be perfectly acceptable to add any mod to the game without having to ask the modder, why would they even make a mod if they don't want it in the game?

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
02-14-2012, 01:41 PM
(02-14-2012 01:36 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  If modding support is planned, I hope this forum doesn't turn into the Minecraft forums with how badly some of those modders behave, I would never let anyone go around copyrighting things they made for another person's game and then trying o enforce it just because the creator of the game wants to add it, I thought it was completely wrong that Notch had to pay the guy who made the pistons mod just to add it. It's his game, why can't he add whatever he wants?

I think it should be perfectly acceptable to add any mod to the game without having to ask the modder, why would they even make a mod if they don't want it in the game?

Woah, Notch had to PAY the modder? I didn't know that.. That sucks.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
02-14-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 01:52 PM by Kazekai.)
Yeah and apparently it was perfectly legal because, for some reason, it's considered yours if you code it even if its full intention is to be used with another person's game, it isn't like art that can be re-applied anywhere. Dodgy And then they have the nerve to use adf.ly with the excuse that they worked hard on it and deserve compensation, and include donate buttons everywhere, like they're trying to turn it into a business or something, which seems horribly immoral to me.

You should've seen the sh*tstorm everyone raised when Notch added sandstone just because a modder did it first. This is why I think they should make people pay for their API, although there were quite a few modders that supported the idea of paying for it, to their credit.

It might be a good idea to include some ToS that says whatever you program for the game that is intended as a mod can be absorbed and used by the creators at any given time without your knowledge or consent. It's their game, after all, so why not? And seriously, what kind of idiot complains because their mod was added to a game anyway? "Oh no! The developers bothered to acknowledge that I had a good idea and wanted to add it! Boo!" Maybe they're just butthurt because they aren't getting anymore adf.ly clicks. Dodgy

02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I think using adf.ly links is fine, it's not like it's money coming out of anybodies pocket, but charging notch to add content to his own game is just messed up.

Also, sandstone, REALLY?! It's just re-textured stone..

02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Which is why you're correct Kaze... It's fine that you've made something, but make a mod into buisness is basically taking someone elses base, and then adding a few specs o' dust and claim it yours.... You could make a game and make more money! So why do they do it? Cause they're cocky bastards who take so much pride in their work that... Notch has to pay to put it in... He didn't make them act anything like the mod!

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
I think I just came up with my new get-rich-quick scheme, I'll make 100's of mods with great ideas but crappy execution (to save time) and when jeb wants to add something to Minecraft I'll point out that I have already made a mod for that and demand pay.. Zombi

02-14-2012, 02:09 PM
To avoid legal issues, I feel like every new update is essentially a crappier version of a mod, although most of that changed when Jeb took over...

Sandstone is good for sandcastles.

They won't make their own game because they're lazy, it's easier to leech off someone else's work.

And yeah you can argue that "Modding isn't just copypasted code, people actually work on it!" It's the intention of how they're going to use it that I'm concerned with, that should be taken into consideration, but never is, it allows people to be lying bastards in legal disputes.

02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
An author's content is his own to license. Notch didn't have to pay for the content, and didn't have to have the content.

If the piston mod was distributed with mojang source, the modder would have been liable.

You can put terms on the api, and perhaps we should, if we believe a modder should have no rights to the content of her creation.

Secret's out. Cool