Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Game Dev discussion
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
General Game Dev discussion
Because it was in popular demand.

Just general talk about game development, whatever you're working on, any ideas, advice, or complaints about the industry.

I hate Microsoft. Angel That's my contribution.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
RE: General Game Dev discussion
For the record, Java isn't fail by default. While it does have a virtual machine, the overhead introduced is 10% at maximum.

Minecraft is resource hoggy because of the way they chose to store the data.

Secret's out. Cool
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Notch can't optimize.

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2012, 09:49 PM
On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have C. C has no fancy tools to choose from, so you must pick your libraries carefully, or build your own, carefully.

Secret's out. Cool
02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm planning on making a small roguelike and go from there.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Wait, what? A small roguelike?

Secret's out. Cool
02-04-2012, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 10:51 PM by Kazekai.)
(02-04-2012 10:27 PM)pmckeen Wrote:  Wait, what? A small roguelike?

Type of RPG, I think.

I think Flash is going out of style, HTML5 and OpenGL libraries will replace it, hopefully... >_> Except for IE users, because **** Microsoft. People shouldn't use IE anyway when Firefox or Chrome is available.

I say this because I'd like to do video game graphics that aren't 8-bit somehow, but the only way is to either make 128-bit pixel art or learn to animate vectors, and animating vectors always means Flash, and that involves programming...

*sigh* I can animate sprites just fine, that's just onionskinning and manual drawing, not big fancy lines of code like vector animating is...

02-04-2012, 11:15 PM
flex is a powerful language... It's what they use to write Flash and Air right now... there's a good chance that it will interpret down to HTML5 and the like as well.

Flash does not replace OpenGL at all, nor vice versa. If anything Flash consumes OpenGL... And IE users are supposed to be using Silverlight. Wink

And animating vectors doesn't mean Flash, nor does animating in flash require vectors, or onion skinning. Keyframe animation in Flash is very easy. Bummer is it's Flash specific, not flex... which means it may not translate to the other languages so well.

Secret's out. Cool
02-05-2012, 05:49 AM
I suppose I should consider leaving coding to the coder. It's probably important for an artist and programmer to be involved in each other's jobs anyway, I'm pretty sure the large bosses in Gunstar Heroes had all their segments coded by a programmer.

Now if only I could actually draw well with vectors. I managed to do one good thing in them and it took me 4 times as long as it would've taken me in something else... Maybe I should stick to sprites. >_>

02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Vector graphics are amazing... But not easy to 'draw'. Bezier curves are awesome... but they take some serious getting used to.

In truth these are most useful for defining the dimension... shapes in 2D or 3D.... then some form of texturing is applied to make it look good.

Secret's out. Cool