Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video card Crashing
01-26-2012, 03:13 AM
RE: Video card Crashing
It crashes as a result of being used heavily. It could be a driver issue too, but less likely imo. If you dont use the card (don't 3d game), it won't heat up, and won't overheat.

The sensitivity to use could be a worn fan or dust clogged heat sink, a damaged card, or a software issue. Since the card shuts off (as opposed to a bsod), it leans toward a heat or card failure issue more than software.

Secret's out. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Good cards that can take more heat n' dust (like my ATI) could help or you could listen to pckmeen.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, it crashed again today after it sitting for a few days. (And I had just turned it on) But this time it recovered. I think I'm just going to buy a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? There was the two mentioned earlier but I don't know if they would work with the mother board. I have very little experience with PC hardware, sadly, and it all confuses me.
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
NVidia or ATI work with mostly everything, not sure about the monitor stuff though.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
What are your system specs? If it's mostly just a computer you bought, link to the page for the PC itself... The only things that are really necessary to know are whether it has a PCIe slot available (preferably 2 so you could get a larger card if required/desired) and what power supply you've got. If you can figure it out, feel free to save us the leg work :3

Other than that though, The GTX 550 is a good card and isn't too expensive, though I'd suggest getting a card with 2gb of memory if you've got the extra money to put towards it. If you're more for Radeon, the HD 6850 is also good and seems to benchmark a little better for right around the same price. The only thing you'll need to consider there is that ATI/AMD Radeon cards are a bit less reliable (in my experience) than nVidia GeForce cards, but that's not to say Radeon cards are bad. I am using one right now and it has given me no problems since I got it a few months back...

Also, regardless of your final choice, a good indicator of how your card will perform can be found here... Just use ctrl+f to find the card by model number, and you can sort the list by G3D Rating or Rank to see how it compares to other cards.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2012, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2012 02:10 AM by GabbyBob.)
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-xps-8000/pd

Pretty sure this is it. We had gotten it as a gift from my Uncle 2 years ago so I don't know everything about it. :/

EDIT: Ah Nvm. This doesn't post specs of it. But this is what we have.
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Found what is necessary to know: 350W power supply, has a PCIe x16 slot (though I assumed it did because of the card anyway), and 2 PCIe x1 slots, and a PCI x16. Long story short, if you'd like to get anything much better than the card you already had, you'll probably have to get a better PSU. If you'd like to avoid that, Radeon HD 5670/5770 are both pretty nice cards. Interestingly, neither card meets the ATI Recommended Requirements, but after looking into that, each card runs well regardless even in that particular system. If you want to play it safe and get something you know will work, jsut buy another GTS 520. o.o

01-27-2012, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2012 12:34 PM by Jaguar.)
Eww. No GTS520. Now's your chance to rise above. Save some coin, invest in a power supply and video card. 550 watt PSU should be fine. ATI vs nVidia is less important than low grade vs mid grade vs high grade. The GTS 520 is low grade.

Edit: Since you're messing with guts, you might check installed vs maximum ram too, since the i5/i7's are 64 bit afaik.

Secret's out. Cool
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
From what I saw (if I remember correctly) the PC comes with 6gb with a 16gb max when it comes to RAM...

Also, lol, I meant GTS 240 (what she already has) xD

Anyhow, that's simply something she knows will work. I would personally upgrade the PSU in her shoes, but not everyone wants to spend the extra money. Plus, unless she's comfortable with it, swapping out PSUs can be risky, as I'm sure you know, and to take it to someone else to put it in would cost even more money. o.O

In the end, Gabby, you've got the option of getting a card of pretty much equal power (as you're pretty much near the max of what that PSU will support), or you can upgrade both the card and the PSU. Upgrading both is smarter for the future, but it's your call. o.O

01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I thought PCIs were for soundcards?

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA