Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video card Crashing
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Video card Crashing
Alright. This has been happening a lot with my family PC. And I don't know if its actually crashing. It just shuts off. And my monitor goes into standby mod. And I've only noticed it because it happens when I play video games. And the only way for me to get it back is to use the hard shut down.
I've searched (via google) and one possible explanation was that there was a 'misfire' of sorts. (It said something about a missed handshake and it shut off because it thought it was off) But there wasn't a fix listed.

I believe the card is a NVidia GeForce GTS 240. I would love for a way to fix it with out having to bring it into a shop.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
RE: Video card Crashing
Hmmm any games in particular?

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I would guess an overheating issue. They get a crack at some point and from then on overheat, that's why I had to replace my last video card (NVidia Gforce 8400 I think). Buy a new middle price one Wink

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Agreed on the heat issue, but it may not be a defect.

If you're comfortable opening your case, check for how well the dust bunnies have been breeding. Dust and any other air blockages let heat build up inside the computer, causing heat sensitive components to stroke out. It's also possible that there is an issue with a heatsink. If that's what happened, and you're not super-comfortable with thermal paste and solder, I'd say it may be time for a new video card.

Secret's out. Cool
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 12:04 AM by iAreNubcake.)
I'm in agreement with the possible heat issue as well. I had a card that did that... worked fine for a long while, then it kept bugging out with the screen going weird, sometimes it shut off, etc... Eventually I checked to see if it was overheating by touching it. Got a lovely little burn from it. Big Grin

Trying cleaning out the fan because dust is probably in it... cleaning out the rest may help as well. After it's clean, try using it again. It may help, it may not. The card could be damaged from the overheating, in which case you may not have any other option but to replace it.

If you do decide to replace it (whether by choice or requirement), you may want to consider a GTX 550...

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
01-24-2012, 12:11 AM
(01-24-2012 12:03 AM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  GTX 550...

He means Radeon HD 6850...

Secret's out. Cool
01-24-2012, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 12:40 AM by iAreNubcake.)
Well I personally use Radeon cards, but I'd love to have a GTX 580 if I didn't need the money for something else. Plus, nVidia cards tend to be more reliable in my experience... I've never really had one fail on me, even after years of use. Radeon... not so much luck. Oh well! They're both good cards anyhow. Depends on how much money you've got and what you want out of it. Tongue

Oh, and I like how you searched for a "tadeon 6850." Nice job, there. Tongue

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
01-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Newegg compensated for these meathooks of mine.

In my experience nVidia also runs hotter. In sensitive environments that means it has a higher risk of going unstable. In controlled environments, it probably runs epic. Like Intel.

Secret's out. Cool
01-24-2012, 08:51 AM
When mine overheated my whole system stopped, I needed to manually hold the power button to kill it Undecided Very annoying indeed.

I also opened it, gave it a damn good cleaning, it extended the life somewhat, but it still overheated. I went to a local computer store and bought an overpriced video card that can manage games okay, I'm happy enough lol. Supporting local businesses ftw Tongue

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
01-26-2012, 03:06 AM
I kinda figured it was an over heating issue, but Why would it be over heating if I've only just started playing games on it? And It's happened on multiple games. The first time was when I played Sanctum. Then a few times on TF2. In windowed and fullscreen mode. Then Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning then lastly L4D2.
I haven't played on it since as I was away from it babysitting my nieces. And the fact that it's still off as I type this, no one's been on it since then. (Typing on my laptop)

And I've cleaned it out when it first did that, and it seemed to help, but I can't exactly clean it out atm, because of all the snow. I'm extremely sensitive to smells and the like so I always go outside. (Scented candles make me nauseous)

Thanks for the help, even though it looks like you all just suggested I needed to buy a new card. Sad