Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Unrealistic expectations) An easy and fun way to create good digital music
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
RE: (Unrealistic expectations) An easy and fun way to create good digital music
(01-20-2012 02:16 AM)pmckeen Wrote:  Cakewalk is a commercial program just for music.

Head First Java is a java programming book.

You probably want to focus on the first one.

Let me know if you want some math/logic tutoring time. I can do voice/video conferencing, etc. to help out. On a recent standardized test at my college I scored in the 80th percentile in math, on a test that allowed calculators, without using a calculator.

Yeah, not interested in learning Java, barely interested in learning programming at all, I was hoping that would eventually be someone else's problem. Tongue

Unfortunately couldn't find Cakewalk on Demonoid so this might take a while. Angel

(01-20-2012 12:35 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  
(01-20-2012 01:33 AM)Kazekai Wrote:  my mind hates logic,

I will use this quote in any argument with you ever Tongue

And I still manage to be right 90% of the time. Tongue

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2012, 05:32 AM
But, Logic is the best. Logic Pro 9 of course. I've used Cakewalk Sonar 8.5, Logic 9, Garage Band, Pro Tools, Cubase, FL Studio, Mario Paint, Finale and even Adobe Audition. I say logic is the best way to make music. It will let you do loop based stuff, but also more intricate composition for orchestral music. I know there is a "free" *cough* version somewhere online that I used to get started with sequencers. It is only for mac though. My close second choice that I used for a good while when I was mostly on my PC is Sonar from Cakewalk.

Finale is excellent for producing readable sheet music. What I do is write my orchestral stuff in Logic to make it sound good, then I export it as a MIDI file. Then I open up the MIDI file in Finale, do a little cleaning up and add the articulations and expressions, and I have nice sheet music.

As for how the instruments in the music sounds, that is a matter of getting sample libraries. Unless you really want to be a composer for a living, I would not recommend it. It costs many thousands of dollars to get all the software and equipment to make orchestral music. Though, there are some very good free libraries. You just have to look for them. Also, live instruments are always best.

What Sabo said is partially right. Its not all about being able to read music, its more about knowing how to put it together. While that may be true, and while someone can become a great musician without learning to read sheet music, the same is not quite true with orchestral music. All music is a language. And just like any language, you can have people who speak it, but can't read it. And that does work for a lot of more modern music and for people who just perform music. But just like all other languages, music has certain rules. Now once you learn the fundamentals, you can start breaking the rules. But they are called fundamentals for a reason. Any orchestral composer worth their salt has at least some basic background of music theory. I do, Nobuo does, Beethoven did. (Not that I'm comparing myself to them skill-wise) And the first thing you learn in music theory is how to read music on paper.

Composition is a hard thing to do well, and music is in fact a very beautiful, but very complex language. I would strongly recommend taking music theory classes as well as taking piano lessons and piano theory (along the same lines as music theory but specified to the piano.) If piano isn't your jam, any instrument will do. Piano is just the most common for composers. And if you ever want to talk more about music stuff, get some advice or have me listen to something, feel free to PM me or skype me.

--Brennan Anderson
http://brennananderson.com
http://badassmusicproductions.com
My Gear: A Mac, a PC, and a LOT of music software. I also play real instruments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2012, 05:51 AM
I actually decided to just suck it up and learn FL. Trying to teach myself to read music was impossible and taking elective music theory classes while I procrastinate on all the mandatory ones already isn't such a good idea. Angel

I would try Logic but I have no Mac, no access to a Mac, and no interest in owning a Mac... That's kind of out-of-the-question.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user