Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skills / Bonded Armor & Weapons
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 06:29 AM by St3amWorks.)
Skills / Bonded Armor & Weapons
Just bring that argument over here, so "Magic or Potions" isn't too off topic.

-=== Awesomeness in a Bottle. ===-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 07:47 PM by iAreNubcake.)
RE: Skills
Well this brings up a big question: what sort of skills are we talking about? Are we talking about general MMORPG skills where you put points into a specific ability or level it up by itself, or are we talking about RuneScape/Elder Scrolls style skills, where you level up/put points into skill categories, which unlock specific things at certain levels?

For those who don't understand the difference, here's a little... thing:

Generic MMORPG-Style:
Flying Ninja Stab, Super Ninja Flip, and Magical Ninja Kick would be skills, and you would level them up to increase how much damage they do, decrease their cooldowns, etc...

RuneScape/Elder Scrolls-Style:
Ninjaness would be a skill, and you would level it up to unlock Flying Ninja Stab, Super Ninja Flip, and Magical Ninja Kick. Further leveling the skill would allow you to do more damage with those abilities, potentially reduce their cooldowns, etc.

Personally, I think RuneScape/Elder Scrolls-style skills would be the better approach. The generic type of skills is far too overused... It's not a bad system, it's just kinda boring after seeing it in 239487 games. o.o

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 08:17 PM by St3amWorks.)
I like RuneScape styles skills personally (I still play Runescape when I'm bored too, hah) But the problem there is that its not very good for PvP. So I was thinking of some sort of an equalizer something that give the players with better skills an easier time, but yet not completely pwn everyone. :/

01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see the need for too many RPG elements in a sandbox game, mostly I think everything should be interchangeable, based on equipment, and not permanent like in most RPGs.

I really don't see how not having RPG elements effects PVP, you swing a weapon at your opponent until one of you drops, it's that simple. Having large-scale RTS wars can work fine off that concept by human ingenuity and not overtly complex systems of leveling up, especially if you only want to use one character.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
01-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I actually agree with the point that there isn't a need for skills but if the need were to arise i think it should be in the form of something like the guild wars concept you use a weapon it levels up for your character and yeah you get more skills eventually.
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Two little things:

1. I can't seem to recall where (it might have been in an e-mail or kickstarter message), but Aaron said something to the effect of "I don't want this to be another game like Minecraft." That's not a quote, but it was something like that. The main point being he didn't want this to be yet another sandbox game by itself. As he already pointed out, he wanted there to be all that combat with ships/airships, etc. I think skills could be exceptionally useful there.

2. More specifically, I think RuneScape skills work for things OTHER than combat. Think about it: starting off, you can mine/build/craft certain things, but leveling up mining/building/crafting allow you to build/craft new items, mine new materials, mine with new pickaxes, etc. It would have to be balanced carefully, though, because this would lose all fun if you had to grind to level up the skills... Potentially, you should be able to get to the mid-range of each skill with relative ease, but getting to be the best of the best would take that extra work.

I dunno, it'd have to be fleshed out more.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Skills are the hardest thing to decide on. With these two systems there are two outcomes: A is people grinding for levels so they can get more skills and powers. B is people grinding to get more advantages. I'd like to see a midway... Like A2 or a C. These two systems are fine by their own, but they could definetly get some tweaks here and there.

I'm young, I'm single, I'm ready to mingle.
[Image: jrUch.jpg]
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 06:02 PM by Kazekai.)
(01-10-2012 01:39 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  2. More specifically, I think RuneScape skills work for things OTHER than combat. Think about it: starting off, you can mine/build/craft certain things, but leveling up mining/building/crafting allow you to build/craft new items, mine new materials, mine with new pickaxes, etc. It would have to be balanced carefully, though, because this would lose all fun if you had to grind to level up the skills... Potentially, you should be able to get to the mid-range of each skill with relative ease, but getting to be the best of the best would take that extra work.

I dunno, it'd have to be fleshed out more.

If you add a system like that, it just becomes another crappy MMO, people shouldn't be limited based on some arbitrary number that indicates their level, I have always hated that concept in MMOs, equipment makes more sense, it's fair, and it's visual whereas a level seems more mathmatical.

Besides, then you get nerds posting all kinds of formulas for the fastest leveling and everybody just does that, it happens in every friggin RPG, not to mention in every friggin RPG, people who hang out on the forums are always at an advantage over people that don't, if the game is going to have a lot of PVP elements, this kind of thing should be avoided as much as possible.

Besides, levels and MMO-style skill systems sap all the fun out of something, there is nothing wrong with just using equipment, that way the abilities you have are based on exploration and not grinding, and I've always seen games that rely on grinding to be a "You're only as good as how much time you have to waste with no skill involved whatsoever" kind of thing.

Edit: In Terraria, we swap and trade materials all the time for equipment, you can't do that with levels. Say someone tried to give me a tool so I could help them dig but my level isn't strong enough to use it, I think that's BS and it means they can go off without me and have all the fun.

And also, I have COLLEGE coming up, Minecraft is pick-up-and-play, I know exactly what's gonna happen if you add levels, all my friends will be higher than me and I'll just stop playing the game because of all the catching up I have to do, that's what happened with Terraria at one point but at least they could just give me stuff when I missed out because of actually having a life.

01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Maybe just do it TF2 style? I'm not sure.

01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
(01-10-2012 08:55 PM)St3amWorks Wrote:  Maybe just do it TF2 style? I'm not sure.

TF2 still has classes, which is stupid.