Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somthing minecraft lacked?
01-07-2012, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 08:22 PM by Kazekai.)
RE: Somthing minecraft lacked?
(01-07-2012 06:06 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  "Most commodities come from monster drops"
Then you need higher monster spawn to make this useful which are points you were against >.<

You think we're all for dog fighting, animal abuse and hunting for fur and ivory? So your outrage and rants are wasted in that sense =_= We all are against it, we don't make it an anti humanity thing and a main drive Smile

The idea of heat stroke/ hypothermia makes it should like comfort bars which makes it sound Simsish which can get very annoying very quickly in a game if forced.

Depends on your definition of "commodity", for example, in Minecraft, zombies currently drop flesh, which is useful in caves if low on food (I lived on it for several Minecraft days when trapped in a ravine and building a new home in my new surroundings) but eating other foods is usually more beneficial, sometimes from animals or wheat. Skeletons currently drop arrows and bones, bones are only used for dye and faster-growing plants, you don't need either (And I don't use either very often), slimes drop slimeballs which are used for alchemy, Endermen drop Ender Pearls which open a gate to The End (currently useless) and creepers drop gunpowder which is used for TNT, something that can only be useful in a few circumstances. (Silverfish drop nothing right now but are incredibly rare.) Spiders drop string but you only need it for crafting a bow (which is the most effective way to kill spiders) and fishing rod which is virtually useless right now, especially on servers where it barely works correctly.

I think another problem with Terraria is that you need far too much of a certain item to craft certain things. The Rainbow Rod comes to mind, I needed an excessive amount of pixie dust to craft it. Given how powerful it is, you'd think that would be fair, but it just seems like a balance issue that requires farming items. Thus, they have to make enemies spawn often enough to not make it so time-consuming. So I think needing fewer items to craft things would mean monsters spawning less.

One example would be a horn you could blow to alert players of an attacking army (As an example, not entirely a suggestion), maybe you need the bone of a monster to craft it, only needing one bone means killing one monster, which means the spawn could be uncommon and designated to a certain area and it would still not be impossible to craft.

As for the heat/cold thing, I was thinking more along the lines of Tomba 2 or The Dog Island, both of which I doubt any of you have played. Tongue Basically, if you enter a desert or a tundra, you get this bar on the side of your screen indicating how overheated/cold you are, and you either need to dress appropriately for that bar to disappear, or you need to drink water or sit by a fire. I don't want it to be very complicated so I think a simple "You can't wear fur clothes in a desert" is enough.

Armor shouldn't be effected by temperature at all for gameplay sake but I do think it'd be cool if you sink faster in water while wearing heavier armor.

Edit: I hate humanity for many reasons, their treatment and lack of respect for or understanding of animals is just one.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Slime balls can be used for sticky pistons which can be used for really cool things (wanna play minecraft now >.< lol). Ender pearls also teleport which can be useful for ravines Tongue

Also just realised.. Eating Zombie flesh.. Minecraft supporting cannibalism?

I like the horn idea, displays a call beacon to which NPC warriors and players are called.. I think an animal horn rather than a bone.. (want to create a horned creature for this now >.< xD)

Yeah pro/con to items like sinking faster in armour is a cool idea actually..

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I alos find this armo sinking thing neat (and I see this as an item perk). You can also add for heavy armors:

-slower distance weapon aim (sluggish mouse)
-panzer helmets might obscure field of vision
-casting spells takes more time and might ricochet from Your armor Tongue.

So You are not disabled from using other options, but Your own skill must compensate these inconveniences. But on the other hand:

+with hammer and heavy gaunllets, after strong hit, you can punch enemy to stun him/her/it
+With shield and panzer boots You can push enemies aside just going forward
+With full heavy armor You won't be stunned or fall back after explosions

And this way we might be full panzer dwarfs, or make interesting mixes, like crossbowers with shields to get throught lines durning sieges and attack from back, or heavy armored kamikaze demolitionist that will jump between enemies with black powder flares.
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
(01-08-2012 11:43 AM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  I alos find this armo sinking thing neat (and I see this as an item perk). You can also add for heavy armors:

-slower distance weapon aim (sluggish mouse)
-panzer helmets might obscure field of vision
-casting spells takes more time and might ricochet from Your armor Tongue.

So You are not disabled from using other options, but Your own skill must compensate these inconveniences. But on the other hand:

+with hammer and heavy gaunllets, after strong hit, you can punch enemy to stun him/her/it
+With shield and panzer boots You can push enemies aside just going forward
+With full heavy armor You won't be stunned or fall back after explosions

And this way we might be full panzer dwarfs, or make interesting mixes, like crossbowers with shields to get throught lines durning sieges and attack from back, or heavy armored kamikaze demolitionist that will jump between enemies with black powder flares.

I don't care for the mouse idea or obscured vision, and am indifferent to the rest, it seems too complicated.

Maybe heavy armor could just have a slower movement pace on sand but a higher critical hit rate and fortify hand-to-hand or CQC.

01-10-2012, 01:53 AM
I know this is completely off from where the conversation was but.... What do y'all think bout how fishing should go if it were to be added?
01-10-2012, 02:14 AM
(01-10-2012 01:53 AM)Kwenith Wrote:  I know this is completely off from where the conversation was but.... What do y'all think bout how fishing should go if it were to be added?

Not like Minecraft, since the fish will go over your head, fishing in a boat is pointless, and the fishing is inferior to other food resources.

Dark Cloud 2 had a good fishing system, but I'd like bait or lures to be an option without requiring two separate rods.

01-10-2012, 06:08 AM
i love Dark cloud <3 but i agree but maybe different rods just for variety in texture rather then use. i enjoyed the getting bait but as well as how u had to even use it to catch a boss.
01-10-2012, 07:23 AM
(01-10-2012 06:08 AM)Kwenith Wrote:  i love Dark cloud <3 but i agree but maybe different rods just for variety in texture rather then use. i enjoyed the getting bait but as well as how u had to even use it to catch a boss.

The bait's availability in that game was a little bothersome, even common bait cost a lot at a store or was a random monster drop, being able to grow bait and harvest worms from the earth might be interesting.

As well as being able to fish on a boat with a tackle box and a bucket for carrying live fish. Minecraft's boats just suck.

01-10-2012, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 10:43 AM by ZiggyPox.)
These were random ideas how to make things more interesting. The point is to make >class specified objects< doing something more than "+10 to ranged damage", and that's dull. Like in minecraft, better tiers of weapon were giving more damage, but real fun comes with options like power strike when jumping or bashing when sprinting.
01-10-2012, 06:14 PM
(01-10-2012 10:43 AM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  These were random ideas how to make things more interesting. The point is to make >class specified objects< doing something more than "+10 to ranged damage", and that's dull. Like in minecraft, better tiers of weapon were giving more damage, but real fun comes with options like power strike when jumping or bashing when sprinting.

As long as it doesn't require any levels or grinding to use, sounds good to me, having more visual and tangible effects to weapons that people can relate to is important.

As long as it doesn't bring about too many complications. Too many pros and cons can make people look the other way, and too many variants in how you use one weapon from the other can be confusing, I'm not saying everything should be the same, just that the details shouldn't vary too much from everything else, having different combat animations depending on your equipment sounds like a good idea.