Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pokémon Go + Neurology
09-19-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: Poké-economy Boom
Currently, there is a prosthetic eye that connects to the optic nerve, allowing people to see light levels, but not color or defined shape.

Just wait until they manage to get to the point of picture, and then prepare for AR fun whenever/wherever.

Forever vigilent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2015, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 11:55 PM by iAreNubcake.)
Yeah, I don't have much of an issue with AR or VR, but there is a point of concern...

The more our bodies, and more importantly our nervous systems, are tied to computers, the more opportunity that other people would have to hack intoo them. Torture becomes a lot more straightforward when it no longer has any mess to it. Simply control the nerve impulses and convince their entire body that it's burning alive. Convince them they're blind. Take your pick.

That's the kind of thing that worries me about it all. The potential of the tech is fantastic, but so too are the potential consequences.

Though I admit that in isolated systems, the tech would be fantastic.Excluding bugs, anyway... that's where things get tricky.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2015, 05:44 AM
I don't believe we'd ever connect technology to the pain-centers in our brain... We most likely wouldn't have the hardware be connected to the net if we weren't sure it was safe. It's possible we could use the brain itself to decode and encrypt information, making it more secure than regular computers. A lot of things to think about.

The simplest solution to most of the issues, would be to have a sort of manual switch so that you could disconnect all the hardware in case something went wrong.

I play too many games at once.
09-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Connecting to the pain centers seems like a bad idea in some ways, but it's also one of the "best" ways of making "true" VR. A true virtual reality has consequences too, of course, and what better and more straightforward consequence than pain? Tongue

In all seriousness, it's hard to say on my own. It's very much something to consider by a larger group of people.

And yes, a physical "killswitch" is a good idea for stuff like this. Possible even an automatic killswitch for potential bugs or exploits.

09-22-2015, 12:17 AM
A virus like that couldn't harm very many people, though. Each person's brain interprets information differently based on how your DNA decided your brain should be built.
It'd partially fail on distant relatives of the target, and may not work at all on someone else.

The inconsistancies are why human thought-waves haven't been translated yet.

Forever vigilent.
09-22-2015, 05:13 AM
This thread should be renamed to "The great Neurology thread"

09-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Perhaps so, Werido. Tongue

Durdur, the thing is that if VR/AR being bound to your brain is to be a success, we'd have to make it more or less universally compatible, and my previous statement was based on that assumption. Earlier generations, yeah, it'll be more specialized for each person, but the market will be so small at that point that no one will care to make that sort of malware anyway (in my opinion).

09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
(09-22-2015 05:13 AM)Weridoguy Wrote:  This thread should be renamed to "The great Neurology thread"
Even if I wanted to, I'd have to find the magic button for that.

In the mean time, why not discuss the ethics of hooking people's minds to the internet?
It'd open up a new form of terrorism in digital mind-killing attacks, as well as make an admittedly fun movie idea.

Forever vigilent.
09-22-2015, 05:24 PM
How about we just connect everyone's brain together?

[Image: psycho_pass_2_ep11.jpg]

09-23-2015, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 09:16 AM by Weridoguy.)
Goanna post something?

Edit: For future reference, iAreNubCake was browsing the thread at the time I wrote the post.