Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
08-06-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
I think hex packing gives you more organic shapes rather than square packing. With hexes you are step away from curves while with cubes you will never be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2015, 02:22 AM
I suppose I should clarify.

I get that they're packing chunks into a Hex shape.
What I don't get is why all of the chunks are the same shape, size, and (usually) rotation. I'll assume it's going to change for the better in the future, and in doing so realize that I can't make a solid argument against it this early on.
*closes semi-annoyed nerd venting device*

Forever vigilent.
08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
It's too bad there couldn't be an interpolated skin across the surface . At the very least, I hope that the chunks can eventually form smoother surfaces. Groups of chunks can share slope variation to approximate a curve. Some rockiness is good, but when all the terrain is so rough, traversing it gets annoying, and it looks very crude.

Also, it's a bit of a pain to dig holes and caves because stray chunks tend to get in the way, and it is tedious to clear them. You can't even collect all the broken pieces either because some fall in between the remaining chunks. Perhaps the hit boxes of the broken bits can be larger, or the players' collection radius can be increased so the pieces "gravitate" towards them.
08-10-2015, 12:18 AM
durdur, three things:

1. The issues with the old engine. I can't name them all, but to simplify it a ton, it didn't use the same sort of grid system as the current one. Chunks used huge floats for coords which wrecked performance, and there wasn't a good way to change that without redoing it entirely. I may be remembering that wrong, and I couldn't begin to explain the specifics as I haven't actually looked at them myself, but I believe that's what Aaron told me and Phil a while back.

2. The "smoothness". To clarify, I didn't mean the texture of a small portion of land, but rather the smoothness of a general curve to the landscape.

3. The performance of the current system is probably just inefficiency with the engine - IE when you look down, it says "all of these blobs are visible so draw them all". Obvious performance hit. Dunno if that's teh case, but I'd imagine it's one of the more likely explanations.

Also, Thorixion, I believe that "interpolated skin" as you're calling it is not only possible, but probable to make its way into the game. The system as it is now is good for making the basics work - grid-esque system that can easily be debugged because there isn't any surface over it, but I think everyone can agree that without some uniform surface over it (or at least over non-manufactured blocks like bricks, etc), it does look a bit crude as you say. I believe Aaron mentioned the possibility of connecting terrain/natural/unrefined resource blocks, but crafted/building blocks would not connect. We'll see, though. I might have mixed up who said that.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Nice update! Finally after so many years the game is taking shape! Now I would like to see is those little tiles of dirt, stone etc connected so that the end result is much smoother. I like the way those tiles are (like very small pieces) but I would prefer them to be more of a mechanical feature of the game rather than an aesthetic one. I mean I would love to dig the ground, the game would remove one of those tiles but the only thing I would see is a smooth hole on the ground and not the tiles.
08-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Nub.
P.S. If anyone wonders where I went, check the From the Depths forum.
There's been a lot of update activity over there.

Forever vigilent.
08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Welcome back durdur Smile

Aaron, we haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Are you getting these messages?
08-16-2015, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 07:24 PM by iAreNubcake.)
I'll shoot him a message and make sure he's paying attention to things; I think he mentioned having some stuff coming up soon, so he might have just been preoccupied the past week or two, but I'll make sure.

Edit: To clarify, he HAS been on the forums, he just hasn't posted.

08-19-2015, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 10:47 PM by aaron.)
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much lately -- but my little girl decided to come 2 weeks early, and I've been busy changing diapers... Taking a little adjustment

08-20-2015, 09:06 AM
See, I told you guys he was preoccupied. Wink

Congratulations Big Grin