Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
07-23-2015, 11:04 AM
RE: Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
To distinguish between players, I suggest beard color customization.

I play too many games at once.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 09:27 PM
dungeons or caves!
07-24-2015, 07:50 AM
(07-23-2015 11:04 AM)Weridoguy Wrote:  To distinguish between players, I suggest beard color customization.

I second this!

I play Lords of Uberdark
07-25-2015, 05:42 PM
If multiplayer are coming i need to ask friends to get this game too Smile
Second to dungeons and caves! When you have a pixaxe in game, you would want to explore caves!!!
Just throw them in the mix... Even a buggy ones Smile
08-04-2015, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 01:56 AM by Thorixion.)
Greetings! I am new here and looking forward to sharing my input and exchanging ideas.

I second the beard and dungeon/cave ideas.

I have some questions:

I believe that keymapping is a planned feature. Does anyone have an estimate as to when it will be implemented or what needs to be done before it is a priority?

Also, I am a total noob regarding terrain/hexagon packing. Can somebody illustrate this concept? Will the terrain eventually be skinned to make a contiguous surface like with the first engine?
08-04-2015, 09:02 AM
This probably isn't a perfect representation, but this gets the general idea across:

[Image: hexagonal-close-packing1346525678579.jpeg]

And as for key remapping being a priority, I'm not sure what Aaron wants to get done before he makes that a priority, but I'm sure when he sees this he'd be willing to chime in and let us know. Smile

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2015, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 01:11 PM by Thorixion.)
Is each sphere in your drawing a voxel? I did notice that the voxels look closer and create a slightly smoother surface in 0.53; is this what the hex packing is all about?

Your drawing looks very professional; thanks for taking the time to create it! I like it! Smile

I think I'm gonna like it here Big Grin
08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Heh, sorry to let you down, but I found it via a google search. xD

Yes, each sphere is meant to represent a voxel. There are a couple of different ways to implement hexagonal packing, though, so I can't say for sure if Aaron's method is identical to this, but it gives you an idea at least.

The smoothness (or I would imagine, a more natural feeling curve) is not the sole intention of switching to hexagonal packing - it also improves performance because the overall number of voxels is fewer, and htus rendering them is quicker. Cubic grids/particles are great for simplistic implementation, but they can look unnatural and can be tedious to work with in some instances. Pros and cons with everything, I suppose Tongue

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2015, 09:11 AM
While we haven't had any new spam threads posted, it would still seem that the bots are still about. Saw some bot in the on the board statistics under active users, as well as today's birthdays.

I play too many games at once.
08-06-2015, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 05:32 PM by durdur.)
(08-05-2015 04:49 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  The smoothness (or I would imagine, a more natural feeling curve) is not the sole intention of switching to hexagonal packing - it also improves performance because the overall number of voxels is fewer.

I must have missed something here.

"Smoother"/more natural - Hex does look more natural, but smooth!? Every surface looks like f#$@ing gravel chunks. Come on, let's be real here.

"Fewer voxels" - Pretty sure the old solid mesh could have accomplished that with more loosely packed or larger triangles/squares. There's more surfaces overall exposed that need rendering with Hex packing, because it's not one connected surface.

The old method must have had a terribly complex/inefficient geometry issue.
Someone please explain to me why the old method seemed to work, but why staring straight down at the new method eats 15fps?

Edit: Perhaps it's just the new engine being buggy?
Either way, low fps when underground makes me sad. ;(

Forever vigilent.