Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug logging.
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2011 09:33 PM by Xaphan.)
Bug logging.
Hi! I thought that for once I'll take some part in the game I'm testing, and I have some suggestions for how to log bugs, as most of the bugs regardless of game aren't (truth to be said, not very good). I don't want to impose this to others, although those serious about logging could use this template as it would increase accuracy, making the job easier for the one(s) trying to fix this.

Ok, on with the template, please note that:

- Text in //this format is my comments for this template, for explanation//:
- Subtitles with RED and stars (*) in front and back of the subtitle are subtitles that should NOT be edited.
- Subtitles are BOLD and RED.
- Text below the subtitles are of course all varying of the bug.

First, start off with the title of the new thread, make it short and concise, describing the problem and where it is. Example:

Version number - Where the bug is present - What the problem is.

The text of the title varies, of course.

Then, inside the post:

*Detailed description of the problem*

When you place torches in game, the torches show no flame.

*Steps to reproduce*

1. Start up LoUD v .37
2. Try placing a torch on any surface.
3. Observe the problem (Illustrated by screenshot "LOUD_Torchnoflame.jpg")

//This can be tricky as some bugs are only present on a certain kind of OS, certain kind video-card etc, try to list everything that's relevant in "Additional info"//

*Additional Info*

Please look at attached spreadsheet for computer-details.
Crash-log is also attached.

//Most likely only used for crashes, corruption etc//

*Attachments*
//If possible, and only a list corresponding the attachments shown below in the post, just so that one can have a way to cross-check if all attachments are present//

menu_screenshot_string_bug.jpg

*Please fix to*

Please make sure the torches placed show a flame when placed.

//Just so that the one fixing this can get an opinion by the logger, best if you have two or more alternatives for fixing, although that's not often in game-breaking bugs etc, mostly in text-implementation and cosmetic issues//

You can find the empty template below, and please keep the formatting with bold text (As it outlines the subtitles better). I also shamelessly copied it from my post in the minecraft getsatisfaction page, as they haven't answered.

Version number - Where the bug is present - What the problem is.

*Detailed description of the problem*

*Steps to reproduce*

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
etc..

*Additional Info*

*Attachments*

*Please fix to*

Also, feel free to help me making it better. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2011, 06:11 PM
RE: Bug logging.
I think I'll make a few modifications to this, then sticky it. It'd be nice to see everyone post bugs in the same format.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Cheers Smile What modifications btw? Just curious Tongue
10-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I think the colourful formatting is a little over the top, but otherwise it's a good idea.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
10-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I dunno about the color stuff, but we'll see.

10-20-2011, 09:32 PM
(10-20-2011 09:05 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  Yeah, I dunno about the color stuff, but we'll see.

That's just for explanation, no coloring needed in logs, although it states that in the bottom. Wrote it in kind of a hurry Tongue
10-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Well There's not much of a reason to color code it even in this, but I'll work on this tomorrow maybe. o.O

10-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Btw, couldn't you make it so that something like this is already typed out when you make a new thread in bugs/glitches?

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
10-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Hmm... Will look into this Ben. It'd be great if I could, but I'm not sure if it's supported (by default anyway). Perhaps a plugin does this... I'll check!

10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
(10-20-2011 11:46 PM)Ben Wrote:  Btw, couldn't you make it so that something like this is already typed out when you make a new thread in bugs/glitches?

It should be possible with these kinds of forums, although I'm used to databases like jira, so I dunno. Jira is amazing once you get the hang of it, but it's expensive.. Well, 4k USD for unlimited users. Bugzilla is a nice open-source alternative.

I mean, it might be some extra work, but having a proper bug-tracking possibility is a HUGE asset if the game explodes in features. Also, just having a handful, or 20 people with access to the tracker, would make sure low-tier logs are kept to a minimum.. Seeing how minecraft is organized bug-logging wise might work, but it's not as foolproof as a real tracking software. Not nearly as accurate or through tho. Then we could use forums for others to share bugs that the designated few can test and log.

Just an idea, though. Smile