Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress-O-Meter Alpha 0.53
06-04-2015, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 07:49 AM by Weridoguy.)
RE: Progress-O-Meter Alpha 0.53
Would it be hard to just make a simple gradient sky? I think that would improve the look of the game a lot.

Edit: Also make it customizable through the config or make it able to be changed per world so people can make custom maps with different atmospheres.

Edit the Second: Here's some stuffs I think is about skies and lighting and stuff: http://www.scratchapixel.com/old/lessons...cattering/

I play too many games at once.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
That second link is gold...pure gold. 99.9 gold.
06-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Ooo, the clouds do look far less depressing now, but I do also agree that a little variance in the sky itself would make the game look a fair bit better. Sometimes it's those little details that make a big difference. Tongue

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 10:15 AM by Weridoguy.)
Almost one hundred gold, Ziggy? Why thank you!
Oh, and a new suggestion!!!
TXAA(temporal anti aliasing).

Also, I think you should take a look at this: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-r...er-program
Dunno if it's compatible with the way you've been making the game, but if it is, Nvidia GameWorks is amazing.

06-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Actually it seems the game works features are really unoptimized for non-nvidia graphics cards, so might not be such a great idea.

06-05-2015, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 07:50 AM by aaron.)
Recharging my batteries for the weekend, but will put in a few hours today. Was planning to do a gradient for the sky when I put day/night cycles back in -- maybe an additional backdrop texture too... Guess it wouldn't hurt to throw in now though.

As for anti-aliasing, will figure that out eventually -- you'd think graphics cards would just magically do it nowadays...
06-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Well, most graphics card can do it for some applications at the very least, though you need to set it as an option. I don't think TXAA is natively supported by most applications though.

06-05-2015, 08:54 AM
While I definitely still think AA should be an option, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal if you're running a game at 4K. Pixels are too small to see the edges regardless. xD

06-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm running it at 1080p because I don't have any of those fancy new "4K" screens that people keep talking about. My issue lies with flickering. Downsampling, traditional AA etc. don't fix that what I'm talking about.

1080p on my 22 inch monitor, with me seated around a half meter away from screen, is enough for me to see the individual light bulbs if I focus.

06-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I don't have a 4K screen either, I was just saying. Tongue