Poll: Gonna take a look?
Yay
Nay
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-playing NES
05-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Self-playing NES
More info at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tom7/mario/ .

A while back, somebody made a program that can learn to play NES games by feeding it a replay. It figures out what values it wants to increase, such as SCORE or LIVES, and then opens the game. It then runs parallel games frame-by-frame to find the most efficient way to increase those values, and avoid lowering them.

The drawback is it perceives your X/Y coords as top priority, so it hates going down or left. The other problem is that this is a VERY slow process. Using my i3 at 100% (3Ghz dual Core) still takes 5 hours to generate a 30 second replay.

I'm currently trying to make it run complex games such as Metroid and Final Fantasy. I say "complex" because you don't just move right/jump.

Bear in mind that this is the same AI that chose to pause a game of Tetris, rather than lose!

Anyone else gonna toy with this?

Forever vigilent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2015, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 07:56 AM by powerofwar.)
RE: Self-playing NES
I think I saw that, or something like it, and they gave it Tetris to play. When it got to the top, instead of losing, it just paused the game. Might have been something different though
Yeah I just watched the video, it is the same thing

I play Lords of Uberdark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply