Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress-O-Meter Alpha 0.52
05-24-2015, 07:18 PM
RE: The New And Improved Progress-O-Meter
disclaimer: this text will be long but I'm not ranting : ) these are just my notes and remarks on current build so please treat it as a raport from an alphatester rather than demands and complaints <3

It is hard to say what would be good. Right now I can do quite a lot with only one axis of rotation, I just use dorfs body for the another axis but in confined spaces, I think, yaw would be best. It also would be great if rotation axis would be oriented with dorf, not with the object, because this way we could achieve any angle we would need by adding these two rotations (and to not be lost in all these rotations a "reset" option would be nice too).

Some indication of overlapping would help with building. At times I can't see how deep allready I am in another block (especially when objects are on my eye-level). Maybe red line would appear on the intersection? Dunno.

Other thing is that ctrl+c and ctrl+v is handy, but quite messy. It is so messy at times that i wish for third person mode from time to time! (I could write another page about that idea, but that's not important right now) Tongue Beside that snapping at times would be cool, but then overlapping allows for great organic shapes (I allready have fiew tricks for that, like using dorfs point of origin as a leg of a compass). Other thing with ctrl+v is that you can place multiple blocks in the same space and I don't think it is good thing coding-wise. It helps now in making smooth floors but it could also bloat file quite fast.

And building floors is tricky, dorfs can place blocks quite far up there but not so far when I try to place it under my feet.

Building stairs is hard as hell and doors could be bigger as making for them tight-fitting frame is hard (dorf is getting blocked on it).

Tree branches are floating everywhere after cutting trees Sad

And material comsumption for a build like the one I'm doing now is monstrous. Without that handy bug I could't made 1/4th of it happend just because how time consuming that would be.

I'm adding link to my world so you can look how I'm building stuff right now and I also encourage anyone to take it, go crazy and add their own stuff to it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5PkJE...sp=sharing

I would type more but my girlfriends is grumpy as it is getting late here so I hope this helps!
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2015, 10:25 PM
That's a nice fortress, Ziggy -- had good fun blowing it to pieces!

As for your feedback -- that's the kind of stuff I like to hear.

The blocks are (internally) fully oriented, so I can throw whatever rotations in -- it's just a matter of trying to make it easy to use at the same time. Can definitely make it so up/down plopping is more balanced.

The collision detection definitely needs some work -- have noticed it more with the Wooden Beams than other things. Stone arches around doors usually work well though, as do stone stairs.

CTRL-V will get reworked into something more user friendly -- right now it's primarily a tool for me to make terrain pieces.

Structural collapse will come in at some point (using tumbling blocks similar to how bombs affect walls) -- and using bombs to collect material should help with that problem...
05-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Structural integrity is usually fun.
Can't wait to see cave-ins!

Forever vigilent.
05-25-2015, 06:19 AM
I think the way you built in the version before the engine rewrite was perfect.

I play too many games at once.
05-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Slept in, but will spend a few hours working at some point today
05-25-2015, 07:09 PM
That previous version (the self-filling blocky version) had simple, but too much minecraftish way of building things. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but it was done allready so many times in many other games and there was actually little freedom in what you could build.

And there was that other tech-demo version with micron-voxel point and I beat it would be an AWSOME way to go if not for the fact that it was burning down my potato and even the onions in the fridge.

Lastly this version. It is rought on edges, true, but it is soooo fresh and there is sooo much freedom. It is harder, true, but I think that all what is needed for everyone to enjoy this version are some nice presets or bigger, ready made parts.
05-26-2015, 12:15 AM
I agree with Ziggy, because a slightly more difficult building system actually gives a greater sense of accomplishment.

Other than that, I can't wait to collapse a tower full of water if/when physics becomes a thing.

Forever vigilent.
05-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Up and working at 4 today -- one possibility would be to have the CTRL-V function tied to items -- so there could be a Stone Arch item, which would plop 20 blocks all at once when used... Maybe a Blueprints type of item that needs a Drafting Table to create...
05-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Suggestion: Could we maybe get a tool akin to the voxel sniper plugin for minecraft, for custom-map making and such? Also, a bit of customization such as custom triggers that we could use to spawn monsters, etc?

I play too many games at once.
05-26-2015, 08:01 AM
(05-26-2015 05:52 AM)Weridoguy Wrote:  Suggestion: Could we maybe get a tool akin to the voxel sniper plugin for minecraft, for custom-map making and such? Also, a bit of customization such as custom triggers that we could use to spawn monsters, etc?

On thing at a time. Wink We don't want to overload Aaron's brain this early on!
(*Begins plotting more suggestions*)

Forever vigilent.
Thread Closed