Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The developers should be aware of this
04-22-2014, 09:22 PM
The developers should be aware of this
So, I'm not sure if this is a right place for this, but I think the developers of Lords of Uberdark should be aware of it.

A shady developer muxwell on Steam has been linked to Aaron Bishop. About a week ago, his game Earth: Year 2066 appeared on Valves early access program for $20. The game has rightly been criticized for being unplayable, and even inspired videos from journalist Jim Sterling. On top of this, the developer also plagiarized an image for a promotional video. Instead of dealing with these problems professionally, the developer started deleting, or editing any negative posts about his game.

I used to play Soulfu quite a bit, and it looks like Lords of Uberdark is getting consistent updates. That's why I found it odd to hear that Aaron Bishop was doing this kind of thing.

Here's the Jim Sterling's video on it. It contains several screen shots of deleted posts, and mentions the claim that the developer is Aaron Bishop:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v...Fail-Story

Here's a thread detailing some of the evidence against Muxwell:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/290750/dis...201141535/

Here's a more recent thread where Muxwell admits to being named Aaron (assuming it hasn't been deleted):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/290750/dis...852341/#p2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: The developers should be aware of this
Oof, didn't see this thread. I actually just sent Aaron a PM detailing this. I've been trying to clarify who this muxwell really is (and more importantly, who he is not), but the pitchfork-wielding masses have been calling for Aaron Bishop's head ever since Jim's video was released. Not to mention, my posts over on the Steam forum just get deleted within seconds.
04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping at least a mod sees this. As humorous as the steam forums are at the moment, I'd hate to see someones name get ruined over this situation.
04-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Don't worry, I've seen this and I'm looking into it all now. I've also contacted Aaron Bishop about it and will see what he has to say, though I can say up front that I think it's extremely unlikely to be him. Biggest reason is the drastic difference in development methods. Earth 2066 seems to be using Unity, whereas Lords of Uberdark is written in straight C. Seems like a ridiculous difference to be the same person...

It's a shame that Uberdark is being called a scam, though. I definitely understand why people are disappointed, but calling it a scam is a bit harsh considering there is still ongoing development and the kickstarter money has not been spent. I'm checking into that with Aaron, though, but that was what I last heard from him.

This is not exactly an ideal situation for a game that has already had some problems with development, though... >.>

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi everybody, and thanks for bringing this to my attention. For the record, I (Aaron Bishop) have had no hand in writing "Earth: Year 2066" -- the games I've built are Egoboo, SoulFu, and now Uberdark (I like that ooo sound). Now, there could be another person out there named Aaron Bishop (it's not too uncommon of a name).

As for folks thinking Uberdark is a scam -- I can see where that comes from (since it has been in development for a while), but I'm still committed to providing the best game I can. SoulFu was actually in development for about 5 years -- and went through several complete rewrites before I was satisfied with it (at one point it was voxel-based).

I'll also admit to making several mistakes with Uberdark -- one is using C as the development language (since it's cumbersome at best). Another is doing a full rewrite (I like where it's going, but the effort would have been better spent on other things). Another is not choosing Android as the platform. But it's coming along...
04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Hey Aaron. As I said in the email, I had my doubts that it was you behind that crap, but making a public statement about it should help clear things up. I'll see about helping the post circulate a bit... Big Grin

04-23-2014, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 12:37 PM by Tyalmath.)
Thanks for making a statement, Aaron.

What really irked me about this entire situation was that, although Aaron Bishop may not be an uncommon name to use, "AaronBishopGames" is relatively more so. The fact that this developer was leaving all of the "This is the Uberdark guy" threads intact, while deleting individual posts within those threads proving otherwise, only furthered my belief that this troll was trying to force that connection. Why he wanted to do that, I have no idea... trolls gonna troll I guess.

The icing on the cake occurred yesterday, when he stopped publicly stating his name was Muxwell Urban and suddenly changed it to Aaron Muxwell (of course, neither of these are correct).

I see someone has posted a link to this thread and your post over there, so hopefully things will get sorted out for you soon.
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
We can only hope that this will clear it up...

I did take the time to shoot Jim Sterling a message about it, though. I'm unsure whether he'll do anything with the information, but you never know... After all, it's not like it was his mess to clean up, but it would be a shame for whatever power he has over his audience to end up further hurting a project (Uberdark) that already isn't doing as well as people would like... :\

04-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up! I went ahead of posted your statement on the steam forums, so hopefully it'll spread. I also hope you have better luck completing Uberdark.
04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting it on there! I would've done so myself, but I'm not about to spend $20 on a terrible game... o.o

We'll see what happens from here, I suppose...